Urban Sophistication

Monday, December 13, 2010

Returning to the Grind

Its one thing to write a few press releases for some NFL events and charities. Its another to have a     minimal presence on a local online publication, specific to the town within a town. To copyedit and act as editorial sales support by day for one of the most significant publications in the world, is a great opportunity. All of these things are great but its time to up the anty.

A Communications masters needs to be put to better use. Newspapers for the most part have been good to me. The worry of newspapers as an industry within the media spectrum existing in a few years is apparent. I've had six months to marinate on the feat of a graduate degree and have come to the conclusion that not many black men have advance degrees. There has to be a way to capitalize on this newfound success. The path was bumpy but not as crazy as it could have been (I've heard plenty of horror stories). 

Is becoming a freelance publicist the answer? What does that mean? What does a publicist do? An opportunity has presented itself, in the rarest form. The kind that shows up in the next seat on a coast-to-coast flight to California. Yes I can write. Yes I can do wonderous things on a Mac. Those things have been self indulgences, along with a few tricks picked up in school and on the day job. I have many of the skills necessary to conduct publicist type business. This should be a no brainer.

After talking to the potential client (@ 6:30am), a manager, and myself even, it seems that taking a chance and doing something I like to do as a legit side hustle is the way to go. If nothing else, I consider myself resourceful and as much as I detest cats, they tend to land on their feet most of the time. That mentality must be taken on to participate in the things I like to do (and eventually get paid for it). To no longer be a bystander in an industry I know a lot more about than I originally thought. 

To objectively evaluate professional and personal self-worth is a lofty goal. I think I may be on my way and deciding to enter unchartered waters is the first step.

J. E. Mazyck
Communications M.A., Freelance Journalist ... and dare I say Publicist

1 comment:

Rob T said...

Handle it, J. Evan.