Urban Sophistication

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Bad Hair Day (apparently I wasnt the only one)

On the drive to the Metro......I realized I didnt brush my hair.....darn. At first I thought about how absolutely vain that was of me to be so upset over the 3 centimeters worth of hair that is actually on top of my head. I tried to forget about my bed head and go on about my usual, chalking the morning up to being just another case of the Mondays so I chose to take the high road and forget that my hair looked like a used S.O.S. dish scrubber. I managed to block out the insanity known as my hair until I got on the train only to find the most ridiculous weavealicious woman sitting in front of me. Shall we say Eek! Her head looked like that room of heads in that Return to Oz movie that Dorothy had to run from. In February during the worst storm in the DC Metro area's history I would have been more empathetic. At least that shiwalla would have kept her head and ears warm. Its June, and its 90 degrees. A co-worker of mine expressed her disdain for women who have just too much hair in the summer time. To quote her, "I'm hot for her"! The reality check set in and I decided to go to CVS and grab one of those cheap brushes and go on about my day. I get to the drug store only to find uber expensive brushes and combs and realized that my thinning hair isnt all that bad after all. The lesson here is that there are more important things to life than vanity. For starters there is no practicality in a pom pom full of hair on your head in June. Specifically, vanity is just not practical or productive. There is something to be said for dressing appropriately for work, and another for overkill. Proper work attire does include hair but the perfect slick-down is not the way to secure the job of the future, or keep the job of the present......

No comments: